Wednesday, May 24, 2006


This afternoon I started working out projects for one of the classes. It's a beginner's spiral class and I want to give the students choices of embellished pieces or pieces with a main focal. I always follow my nose when I bead, so weighing, counting and measuring was an interesting proposition. I did one small bracelet - and plan to do several different styles, necklaces and earrings for display. AND today, I finished the very last of all the paperwork: teaching outlines, class handouts, photos of work, CV and covering letter.
The project shown is a modest start but I like the colors. The larger bead is silver lined dark topaz and the 11s are copper lined ruby. The two bead-wide loop is the Bead Babe's - and I'm grateful for it. I hate sloppy finishing.
No doubt, now that I have basic grams per inch figured, I'll go loony and start adding details like crazy.
All this during a flu day.
Beads and bathrooms 'r' us.

8 Comments:

Blogger beadbabe49 said...

The spiral bracelet is a wonderful starting project...and remember to at least triple the time it takes you to make it, for the newbies.....that was one of the biggest surprises I had as a beginning teacher!

5/25/2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

Really? Oh lord. The poor things. They'll have homework. But BB - it's EASY.

5/25/2006 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Jewels said...

I've found, as a beadwork teacher, that I encountered different levels of 'comprehension' in my groups... Some will catch on really quick (as I did, and I'm sure you did as well...), but to others, they're brains just don't analyse like ours, and it's just a bit tougher to understand. Do make sure you have lots of samples on hand. Some really need the 'visual aid'.
I'm sure you'll do just fine. Once I'm done with the first class (in any stitch), I find it's all just falls into place nicely.

5/25/2006 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger LJ said...

Jewels - I'm just TOO over-anxious. New Teacher Syndrome. I've seen it where I work (at an Art College Library). The inexperienced teachers flap about and provide WAY too much information.
I'll calm down. Any month now.
Thanks for the tip, though! I'm bringing work AND doing a slide show in the first class. For the visual learners.
And I dimly remember someone showing me circular peyote for the first time, back when dinasaurs roamed the earth, and how incredibly HARD it seemed at first.
Gosh. It will be lovely to breath again!
Thanks for the support. I appreciate it tremendously.

5/25/2006 05:46:00 PM  
Blogger The Lone Beader said...

I think its wonderful that you teach beadwork. The spiral rope was my very first serious attempt (you can see it in my portfolio), and I really enjoyed it. I didn't think it was difficult to learn. Your students will have fun:)

5/26/2006 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger LJ said...

Fun? Oh! Right! This is for FUN! I'm glad someone reminded me that they'll be coming for that as well as to learn some beading.
Puts a whole NEW light on the subject.

5/26/2006 05:50:00 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Gorgeous piece! I love the way you photographed it, too - the light passing through the leaf beads and creating an amber glow on the white background. Sweet!

6/08/2006 07:37:00 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

Thanks, PF. I have an absolute THING for ambers and reds and purples. I adore those size 8 matte silver-lined ambers.

6/09/2006 04:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home